My name is Joseph P. Dzingeleski, I graduated from AHS in 1948

and I remember the days of loafing at the Bridge Café and Pete's and Mikes bar. As I recall, Adena had only 3 potential jobs for the town. Namely, coal mining, railroading to haul the coal, and the steel mills along the river. In my lifetime, each of those were shattered by either foreign steel companies or government environmental regulations. As a result, if you take the 2010 census statistics about Adena, it is still a town hurting for jobs the same as in my graduation year. 12 of our Adena seniors then inquired about the military, and when we found out we would have to be there three years, not two. 7 boys did not go but 5 of us did and we all got caught in the Korean war, that was my case that ended up for nearly 5 ½ years.

I have lived nearly 82 years now and have been blessed with a life that the lord has allowed. I've spent 5 ½ yrs in the air force as it was becoming a separate branch of our military going from engine aircraft to jet powered. As the personnel Sgt. Major of the flight training air force headquarters in Waco, TX., in the rank of tech/sgt at the age 20, I was our base champion in table tennis, 8 ball and 9 ball pool and competed with 25 other bases scattered over the USA at Randolph afb, San Antonio, TX, When Korea was over, I took my discharge and went back to Adena in 1953 and worked at the WL&E and then the Dun Glen coal mine where my dad was employed. Then I attended Ohio State University and made the baseball team in my freshman year.

In 1956, Ohio State’s baseball team was invited to tour the far east, namely Japan, Korea, Okinawa, and Hawaii and participated in games with all the military baseball teams. There were seven of the top Japanese universities at Meija Shrine Park with 65,000 people in attendance. We played a game on the island of Hokaido the northern most island near the russian border on july 4 with snowflakes falling during the game. During one of the games in Japan, while sitting in the dugout, I heard my name being called and when I looked toward the sound. Can you believe it, there I was in Japan, when an adena boy named Johnny Raymer, Otto’s nephew, was in military uniform running into me? Our team had several players that were famous eventually. Howard “hopalong” Cassidy who had just won the Heisman Trophy for his football prowess, was our centerfielder and had to leave our tour with Dick Larson the OSU athletic director to make the award ceremony. We had Frank Howard as our right fielder who became a baseball legend in the pro’s at 6ft 8 in. 265lbs., making all American in basketball, as well as baseball. One of our pitchers was Galen Cisco from St. Mary's, Ohio, who was an all big 10 fullback in football and our best pitcher. He spent his life also in major league baseball as pitcher with the newly formed New York Mets under Casey Stengele coaching, later becoming a coach at several teams. Ronnie Nishwitch was a pitcher played with the Detroit Tigers until his arm went and Johnny Edwards was one of our catchers who played for Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Houston pro baseball. So our team was loaded as they say. In Korea, we played the Korean army baseball team in Seoul, Korea before another 40,000 people. Every military team that was there was on our schedule including one that we played within 1 air mile from the demilitarized zone with North, Korea.

Adena Tigers BaseBall Team of 1932
Won 41 Lost 8. Manager M.E. Stanko - Team Captain J. Benedict Team Members J. Benedict - A. Douglas - P. Black - R. Sommerville W. Dickerson - F. Benedict - S. Yonick - C. Pennman S. Kalonick - Merkle - Kolsbaugh -- Humphreys - J. Moreland - Stozick
I remember the American Legion and the great baseball teams they had with Otto Raymer, the greatest knuckleball pitcher ever, and Buck Phillipi the "Nolan Ryan" of the team, along with Doc Riley, first baseman, Mike Yanok the lefty curve ball artist. They entertained the town with other great baseball teams such as Honus Wagner all-stars, Homestead Greys, House of David, and the black teams of the Kansas City Monarchs along with others. The team was so good, many of the players were offered contracts by the pros but it was so pitiful money they would have to take a pay cut. Most of them had full time jobs paying more than the pro baseball teams were offering such as $300.00 per season or per month. Otto Raymer pitched several no hit games as he may have pitched 3 times a week with the Sunday coalminer leagues, the Wheeling Intelligencer newspaper league, the Martins Ferry Times Leader league along the Ohio river. Pete's and Mikes bar had a back porch that was inside the gate to the football field that was used for the baseball games and they used to pass bottles of beer down off the porch to the fans inside the ballpark. In 1937, Adena's high school football team was involved with the St. Clairsville team that came to Adena undefeated.

If I recall correctly it was the fourth game of the season and Adena was whipping them by 40 points into the third quarter. It was the first year that the concrete stands were available and one of the fathers of the Adena boys was quite pie eyed from the beer passed down from the porch and was really razzing the St. C., fans that a fight broke out in those stands. It escalated onto the playing field and the game was never finished as the fighting engulfed the entire downtown before it was over with most of the store windows ended up broken. There was one constable in town named Black and it took several hours before the county sheriff from Steubenville could get to town to quell the rioting. That animosity between Adena and St. Clairsville was always there when in 1946; our basketball team went to St. C. to play their team featuring the Marshall family, a great high scorer. Everett Moore on Adena's team guarded him and was harassing him to the point he chased Moore up and down the court ignoring the play of the game and was ejected out of the game in the third quarter. Our team won the game by 2 points but in order to leave the school after the game, our team had to walk thru a gauntlet of African-American faces to the bus 70 feet from the building. The explanation given by Jerry Melchiori our coach and Moore satisfied the Marshall family that we were allowed to get on the bus and depart. However, the bus was pelted with rocks and bricks that all the windows were broken by the time we returned home. That team was the one you have in your items of Moot Black, Hixon, Stankiewicz, Moroni, and Moore that went thru the tournament's reaching the regionals in Canton losing to Akron Ellet. In those days, there was only 2 classes of schools- class A and class B based on student enrollment. I believe 250 and less were class B and all others were class A.

L-R Pete Milicia, little Pete Milicia and Mike Stanko
Mike Stanko was lovingly known as the walking encyclopedia of Adena Golden wave sports. Give him any year, and he could tell you the team's record, score of their games and just about anything. I once worked for the Wheeling and Lake Erie RR at Toledo, Ohio whose track mechanic told me when he relieved vacations at "PINE VALLEY" which was what Adena was called on the railroad; he would stop at P&M for after work for a beer and burger. The next time he was there for another vacation replacement, after ten years from the first time, he was shocked that that guy Mike Stanko would know what brand of beer and how many hamburgers he had eaten 10 years earlier as well as his vehicle license plate number. It shocked him to find anyone with that kind of memory. As far as the barber shop, my mother never cut my hair and had let it grow to below shoulder length in strawberry blonde color. When I was 5 years old and getting near to attend school, my dad took me to the barber shop there to get my hair cut. The barber was known to hoist a few between customers and especially when it was slow. In the process of cutting my long hair, he nipped my ear lobe on both sides and I returned home with brown hair and white tape on both ears. My mom threw a fit at my dad and gave him the silent treatment for nearly a month as she then did the same thing to my brother Carl making him look like a small girl to the point that when the firemen held the Halloween parade, she dressed he and I as a bride and groom making a wedding dress out of an old lace curtain and a tuxedo I was given by my uncle jack for his wedding. We won the prize for those 2 years in a row, once getting a bushel of apples, and the other a 10 lb. bag of flour. Times then made those prizes very thankful. We lived above Irwin's butcher shop in the apartment above the store.

The Bridge Café used to conduct card games called Briskelene with nickel beer for the prize. They would start Fridays after work and would not end until Sunday, then came the time to go home to get sleep to go to work on Monday. People used to come just to watch those games. The Eliopolis family owned the Bridge Café and it was a good Greek restaurant with substantial meals. Later, Oofti Sliva bought it. When they sold it, it became a beer stop as well where card games were played. The game of Briskelene had a player who when he and his partner won the plate of nickel beer, required the big boss to control who got to drink any glass to get permission of the little boss. They called him chief and at times he would drink all 10 glasses himself and boy they would blast him every time he did that. It was hilarious and created many angry players who could only watch him drink all 10 glasses when all of them were thirsty and got nothing.

Maybe someone may remember my family as we recall our Adena days with fond memories. My brother Carl once served on City council and my mother was very active in St. Casimir's Mother Seton, and Sodalitary Clubs. I remember helping with the weekly bingo to raise money to build the school. I attended St. Casmir's Elementary held in 3 rooms behind the church. My 8th grade class consisted of only 6 boys who all were altar boys and served as such at our graduation mass in our graduation gowns. I recall Father Phillips taking the altar boys to Pittsburgh Pa., to watch the game between the Univ. of Pittsburgh and Notre Dame Univ., won by the Irish. Gosh memories sure are rampant with your postings. There was a Joseph Riley at St. Casmir's school in 1943. He was an 8th grader that year and I was a 7th grader. At St. Casmir's the 7th & 8th were taught in the same room behind the old church. That held the elementary school; grades 1 thru 3 were in the room nearest the priest's home, the 4 thru 6 was in the middle room with access door to the sacristy and the 7th and 8th grades were in the room facing the playground toward the Robyville mine. I recall that Joe was what you would call a problem for Sister Annunciata who taught that room. At least 2 or 3 times during the year, Joe would get a whack with sister's yardstick which was 3/8" thick and could really hurt! On the last day of the school that year, when sister dismissed the room for the year, I remember Joe Riley yelled out as he exited the door, "So long you battle axe! See you sometime."

In those days, there were no trick or treat with candy, etc. There were only tricks. We would soap the house windows, and then as we were leaving, throw kernels of corn against the windows to alert the houses that they had been soaped. Sometimes, we would unroll rolls of toilet paper throughout the tree(s) in the front yard. In those times, most homes had outdoor privys that we would tip over. I remember one time, as we were tipping every outhouse, there was one with a light in it that we by-passed. On the way back that light was still in it and we peeked in to find out the owner had a long extension cord from his rear porch so we tipped over the outhouse, rolled the extension cord up and left it nicely rolled up on the porch steps.

The railroad track was along the border of the playground and the split of the railroad was right there that went to the mine to the left and toward St. Clairsville track to the right. As a 12 year old Mike Yanok and I took our wagon up that track to the woods on the hillside to load up dead leaves and humus to bring to the nuns house to put on their vegetable garden.

As a youngster in Robyville walking to school at St Casmir's, there was a buddy of mine called Chester Zonkoski (the last name was spelled much different) and pronounced it would almost sound like a sneeze,("Zayunchkoski, "maybe). During a bad winter when I was about 7 or 8, I usually stopped at Chester's house to have him join me on the trip to school. They had one of those large mail pouch thermometer on the back porch. I remember one day the temperature was reading 25 below zero. Chester's mom opened the door saw the temp and made sure I got a little warm before she would let us continue on to school. Later in our lives, I became aware that Chester was awarded the bronze star in combat in Korea. We have never been able to communicate after high school.

In my 8th grade class at St. Casimirs, a fellow student was Joe Rebeck whose sister you have shown as Kate Rebeck Kuzma. Joe once brought to school several exotic butterflies in picture frames that his dad had given to the family, including a stuffed penguin. Katie and Joe had an older brother named George. I recall when he went to the blackboard would lick his fingers that were covered with chalk dust while he would write on the board. As I recall, George was so bright academically that he had skipped at least one grade because of his ability in class. I wonder if Katie remembers that?

While in high school, there were 3 boys in our class that were considered the comedians. They were Mike Pappas, John Hovanick, and Kenny Case. Those 3 were always together wherever they went. Kenny Case and Liz Pavlick were the king and queen at our school prom. Miss Ianerelli was the young, attractive teacher during our time and she left when she was married, after only being there a couple of years. Miss Walker was the English teacher, and Mrs. Ramsay was the math and science teacher, Jerry Melchiori was the government teacher and Mr. Shields was the shop teacher as well as the Superintendent of the school. Mr. Boetticher (hope I spelled it right) was the principal and usually the bus driver to games, etc. Joe Work was the school maintenance person and his daughter was in our class. Nancy Black was the valedictorian of the class and we also celebrated the Baccalaureate service that is now no longer allowed in some schools in our country.

In the early 1940's, St Casmir's had a church choir that was outstanding especially before midnight masses on Christmas Eve. Norma Yanok, Dolly Olszewski were two names I recall. The choir started singing at 10 pm on Dec., 24th every year. It sang Christmas carols that were familiar and the people would fill the church at 10pm to the fullest as there would be people outside the entrance to the church and near the bell tower just to listen to the choir. One Christmas, a young man showed up to listen that was quite inebriated and father Louis brought him into the sacristy to sit and listen all thru the mass. I think his name was Harry Utter, but not positive. The choir was put together by the nun who also taught the 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Alex Black mentioned Toni Bedway married his classmate. Her name was Nancy Luke as her father was my supervisor when I worked at the Dunglen mine between college summers and was a guest at my wedding.

Adena Town Square
Adena RR Yard

1933 coal miners and one of them is my grandfather (Gagee) Joe Dzingeleski - my dad's dad.
My dad, also Joe Dzingeleski along with my grandfather John Sadowski both worked in the Piney Fork mine using a pick and shovel, with a mule and cart. Dad would tell me they only got paid for the actual coal they brought out to the scale house as it was weighed. He was also required to remove useless stone free of pay and dump it on the stone dump. I remember getting wash tub ready for he and my grandfather to come home to wash on the yard and/or porch before they would come into the house. When the strikes were settled, one of the items in the contract was for the company to provide an available wash house. Part of this was because the bus drivers complained that their bus was made so filthy getting the miners home from work. The water that was provided came from inside the mines and heated for the showers. They had wire baskets on chained pulleys to place their go to work clothes that were raised to the ceiling however, the same baskets held the dirty clothes and after a couple of days, the go to work clothes had coal dust on them when they went home. Dad lost his job during the strike and after 3 years was hired at the Dun Glen mine half way between Adena and Dillonvale. There also was a bar known as the Railroad Inn where many times the miners would vie for who paid for a round of beer by one punching each other off their feet. [You punch me and if my feet don't move, I get to punch you until one of us moved your feet.] When I went to Ohio State Univ., I would work at the Dun Glen mine during the summer breaks but by then there was a portal outside of Harrisville, Ohio, to get into the mine. I think Doc Riley worked at the mines preparing the new portal near Harrisville to reach the work area of the Dun Glen mine sort of like a mining engineer. That portal was almost 10 miles from the main mine entrance at Dun Glen. Miners were being paid portal pay as soon as they entered the mine and the portal at Harrisville was much closer to the work area and saved the pay time if they entered the mine at Dun Glen. When the Dun Glen mine closed, the Superintendent named Zitko was put in charge of the Ireland mine in Cresap., W.Va., which only serviced the Olin Matheson plant in Hannibal, Ohio also called Omal, Ohio. That coal never came out of the ground as it was conveyed under the Ohio River directly into the furnaces in Omal which were over 500 ft. below the ground. There the smoke from the furnace ended up 300 ft. above ground and as it rose, the impurities such as sulphur, etc., were removed and the smoke was as clean as they could make it. That place was near Powhatan, Ohio on the Ohio River. It was from that mine that my dad retired in 1975 and passed in 1988. As a child, 10-14 yrs. of age, we lived in Robyville and would go to the mine to pick coal that had adhered to the stone that was dumped and after we got enough, dad would hire or rent a pickup to bring it the the house and I would shovel or throw it into the coal shed. During the summers, I would have a chore to also cut kindling wood to be used to start the morning fires during the winters. There I go again, memories because of your website. Sorry for being so bloviating as O'reilly would accuse us of being.

The girls in my class that I remember were Nancy Black, Mary Agnes Work, Liz Pavlik, Pat Martin, Millie Miric, Irene Satory, and Jackie something from Harrisville (can't remember her last name.) There were no girls in my 8th grade at St. Casimir's, so girls in high school were new to me as even in my Robyville neighborhood there were only two I remember, Pearl Kowalski and Angeline Maroni, with knick names of Pelasha and ape. Pearl's brother was Mitchell who went to the air force with me his knick name was Skitch. Herman Maroni was Monk George Gullo was Snake, and Figurski was Heavy Shoe. George Kasarda was Diz mine was Jinks or Jinx, sometimes Jingo. Ray Konkoleski lived 1 door away from me and since his older brother bought him a catcher mitt and a baseball, he and I would pitch to each other calling balls and strikes for each other near his coal shed. We used to play capture the flag on the hillside above our houses and there was a large flat stone on the edge of the hill. One day George Kasarda peeked above the edge of the stone as someone on the other team had a bb gun and shot at the stone. The pellet ricocheted off the stone and hit George in his eye. He had to wear glasses after that.

Definitely I remember the church hill residents were known as cake eaters, also the ethnic residents in Blairmont or Robyville were known as pie faces. Many of the East Main St., were also known as cake eaters as that was where Ben Shields lived, Dr. Martin had his office, and the dentist had his there. The families on church hill had the Presbyterian Church, Stergios', Gosnell's, and Mcgarrey's store was there. A great sled riding hill went right past Ben Mcgarreys and just below their store the street split straight or left turn which if you went left, you ended up at the blacksmith shop where horses and mules were shod. There the owner made pony shoes for the kids to play horseshoes.

Adena First Grade School Yr 1936-37-Top Row: 1.2.Miss Ethel Packer 3. Mildred Miric 4. 5. 6.Bill Somerville 7. 8. 9.Mary Agnes Work 10.Joe Ragits Second Row Down: 1. 2. 3. 4.Mike Pappas 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. Leo Deleski? 10. 11. Mary Margaret Madigan Third Row: 1. Gertrude Starosciak 2. 3. Odetta Wease 4. 5. Irene Satory 6.Janet ? 7. Mary Lou (Mercer?) 8. Nancy Black 9. Norma Blake ? 10. Pitrina Milicia Seated: 1. 2. Tony Basich 3. Chester Brodzinski 4. Tom Stergios 5. 6. 7.Martin McKim 9. Kenneth Case
[Photo From S. Irene Satory]

The building next to Irwin's butcher shop was at one time the state liquor store and it moved to the next building to the right where at one time the M&K grocery had been. In the same building was the pool hall where there was many a poker game in the back room. Joe Work liked to play cards with many of the card players at that time. Cermack's barber shop opened in the old liquor store and I believe Harr's ice cream occupied it for a time. Harr's was well known in Harrisville, Ohio, as an ice cream stop. The bank building across from the liquor store to the west at one time was the Eagles Club house. My dad, used to fry fish on Friday's there. Locally there was a woman who was the expert at frying fish on Fridays and sometimes on Saturdays. I think her name was Kovaleski. She had the best batter recipe so much that every place would try getting her to fry fish at their place. They were the Pasadena Inn, on the road to Ramsay/Herrick, Pezzopanes, (and last I recall) was in Hopedale, Ohio. People would buy her fish by the dozens for their family meals. The batter was crispy, similar to fried chicken at KFC. Toni Bedway's family had a grocery store on Hanna Ave., across the street from the old St. Casimir's church was Kulogoski's penny candy store and a large hall where many wedding receptions of the marriages celebrated at the church were held with polish music. The floor was waxed and sanded for dancing and it had back room for the alcoholic beverages enjoyed at the reception. I recall one time where the men gathered around a large washtub where they poured bottles of whiskey, gin, and wine into the tub and dipped drinks from the tub. Those weddings were on Saturdays usually at 10 am and when bride and groom party went to photographers for pictures, the families would to go to Kulugoski's to get fed lunch and start the celebrating. Many times the celebrations lasted into Sunday morning in time for Sunday mass. Also on Hanna Ave., were a polish club, the American legion, Stankiewicz grocery, and butcher shop. The first time anyone had tried Pepsi Cola was at Visintainer's on Hanna Ave., with their slogan "Pepsi Cola hits the spot, 12 oz. bottle that's a lot, twice as much for a nickel too, Pepsi Cola Is the drink for you." In addition, the only black family named Jackson in town lived on Hanna Ave., across the street from the jewelry shop. At the corner of Main and Hanna, there was a building that was the town jail not much larger than a good sized shed, alongside the creek that came down from the Robyville mine. Do you see what you have caused jogging my memory about Adena? We had sled tracks that started near the Robyville mine that at times would be almost solid ice. The sleds would coast on that ice track that was caused by the trucks hauling coal, clear down to the St. Casimir's Church! That was close to more than a ¾ mile long.

I haven't seen any mention of the Adena bakery on Hanna Ave., across the street from the American Legion hall. My fond memory of that bakery for its fine high quality baked goods was especially evident every Sunday. Yes that bakery produced bread on Sunday afternoon. Every Sunday at 5:00 pm, the bread came out of the oven to waiting customers numbering 20 or more enjoying the wafting odor of fresh Russian dark rye, Italian cornmeal, and French bread. That became many Sunday suppers at many households, which at our house was slices of fresh bread buttered in bowls of milk, still warm from the oven.When the original bank closed, there was a club that occupied the first floor called the Eagles. My father used to help cook fried fish on Fridays and Saturdays there. Also next door to Saad's department store was the Pastime Theatre where we went for 10 cents. Tuesdays always was a double feature movies as well as chapter movies of various types such as, Terry and the Pirates, Captain Marvel, Sky King, etc. One thing I remembered seeing on the marquee was on the Tuesday movie double Feature was showing "DOUBLE FEATURE, ONE PIPPEROO AND ONE STINKEROO" next door across the alley was the IGA grocery if I am not mistaken was owned and operated by the Stergios family. Pop and beer bottles required a 2 cent deposit when you bought and you could turn in the empties for 2 cents. Many of the kids would collect the bottles turn them in at the IGA for 2 cents each and get enough to go to the movies. I think Paul Stergios was the son of the owner of the IGA. Next door to the grocery was called Candyland and across the street from that was George's Barber shop. Dino's gas station was cattycorner from the bank building and at the sidewalk corner was a sign held up by poles. One winter day with icy streets, a Model T ford coming down church hill had lost its brakes and was sliding thru the intersection as another car was in the street and to miss hitting the car slid directly between those 2 poles without hitting either one and finally stopped before reaching the Co-op store at the bridge. Needless to say, that drew a large crowd that could not believe the Model T did not fit thru those poles.

The former Maud Creamery, W. Main St. and Hanna Avenue
Ed and Wilma Campbell wrote they met at Kay's after a Dillonvale game on November 11th. That means they meant after a Cadiz game. Adena played Cadiz every year on Nov 11th, Armistice Day and Dillonvale every year on Thanksgiving Day. Those were the last two games every year and only changed when Ohio high school board required all schools to play one game a week consistently. That shot down our traditional schedule. The Adena/Dillonvale game was usually the last game played by any school in the area and as such was always standing room only whether played in Adena or Dillonvale. The attendance exceeded the combined population of both towns as even fans from all over attended sort of like a last fix for Football. As such, there always was a lot of gambling on that game and point spread was always in the mix. Adena's team in 1946 was heavily favored and played in Dillonvale. We lost in a very close game. 1947 game was played in Adena and Dillonvale was favored by 21 points. We held a lead into the 4th quarter of 12 to 7 and they scored a touchdown in the last few minutes of the game. We lost 14 to 12, but we were highly praised for our efforts as our gambling citizens won quite a lot of cash. P&M hamburgers were gifted to the team for that game; also the game was cold and wet with ice in the puddles with a cold wind blowing.

If you left Adena westbound, the Macadam road made a 90 degree turn onto a bridge over the creek that flowed there. If you went straight ahead at that point there was a gravel road that reached Rt. 250 near the Cadiz sewer plant along that road was Stankiewicz slaughter house where they prepared the meat for their market on Hanna Ave. There also was a Picnic Park there called Zimmerman's grove with playground area for ball games, swimming and fishing in that creek. By 1944 or so, it closed. People from Adena, Cadiz and Georgetown did their picnics there especially on Sundays. At Georgetown on 250 was a bar/dancehall called Fontana's with Saturday dances. They also had a Fontana's on Rt. 7 in Tiltonsville, Ohio on the Ohio River with Friday and Saturday dances. There was another on 250 outside of Harrisville toward Bridgeport called Dixie moon and it was a hot spot for dancing. My dad was working at that time at the Piney Fork mine with pick and shovel, cart and mule. He joined the strikers that day the Ohio National guard fired on the strikers and because he was There, he lost his job at Piney Fork and was labeled a communist. That kept him out of work until 1935, then he and my Uncle Jack went to the Dunglen Mine. I was 4 yrs. old with strawberry blond color hair below my shoulders. Uncle Jack had a model T car and in driving up the hill to the mine office, his radiator overheated and he had to crawl down to the creek flowing down the hill a couple of times with a scrap can to fill the radiator. They were both hired that day and my uncle said it was only because they had me to present to the super. During the 3 years my dad was blackballed as a communist, he worked a lot at Packers Orchard and farmed mostly for daily food. It was located on Rt. 250 outside of Harrisville, Oh. Not too far from the Dixie Moon bar and dance hall. Years later, Dixie moon was bombed out of business caused by some mafia type difficulties or so was the rumor.
When you went west out of Adena at the Harrison County line, a bridge crossed the creek in a hard left turn. Going straight ahead at that point was a gravel road that if you took that you would end up on Rt. 250 near the plant for sewage from Cadiz. Traveling up that gravel road, there was a picnic grounds called Zimmerman's where many people would go to enjoy their summer picnics and some swimming in that creek. You could also fish in that creek it was very clean water. A bit further from Zimmerman's grove was a deep area at the creek where many people also used as a swim hole and in our senior year, several boys went the night before the senior breakfast event to build a good fire and spent all night keeping the fire going. At 8am, the full class arrived and we cooked the usual eggs, bacon, sausage or ham slices with coffee, milk, orange juice, etc. After eating we played softball, horseshoe pitching, and volleyball. It was a great event and one of our last as a class being together. Mrs. Grove was our class home room teacher. Miss Maud was the Home Ec., teacher which at that time girls were only permitted to take that class and Mr. Shields taught shop where only boys were permitted to take that class. Woodworking was taught using black walnut, cherry, maple. Cedar and/or pine at very cheap prices. We built furniture, using band saws, table saws, drill presses, hand planes, to glue boards together, lathes, we used to make baseball bats or walnut bowls of walnut and pine. Mr. Shields also taught us fundamental electricity to build lighting systems as well as a little auto repair ideas. Wow what memories! Thanks to you.


© Copyright 2002 Adena News Inc., All Rights Reserved