The large wooden bridge in the center of town was built in 1858. Before the bridge was built, people had to ford the creek. In order to pay for it's construction, the bridge was a toll bridge at first.
The old bridge stood through many changing scenes. Morgan's Raiders pass through during the Civil War, and was it was finally torn town in 1916 and replaced with
a tall metal bridge. The covered bridge served this community for several years.(Right)
In 1930, the old Iron Bridge was replaced with
a cement bridge. The construction of this bridge changed the roadway.
Another bridge located in Adena (not pictured) was an old covered
bridge located in Foxes Bottom. Bottom Right, Mary Agnes Work Roski sits on the W. Main Street Bridge that was also used for skating fun. (Photo submitted
by S. Irene Satory.)
Aug. 27, 2002: An advertised public meeting was held regarding the status of the West Main Street Bridge. Mr. Walt Ziemba, Asst.
Harrison County Engineer , Mr. Dean Palmer, (Chairman of Richland Engineering Ltd.) and G. C. Inglis, offered their plans of constructing a new bridge.
Mr. Palmer claimed that while under construction, one-lane traffic would be admissible over part of the bridge. The new bridged is planned to be 36 ft wide Mr.
Ziemba said that Harrison County applied for funding and received 100% of the funds for the project, which will save the county approximately $200,000. Currently,
the bridge is free of charge to the village.
The West Main Street bridge built in Adena in 1930 has been recently replaced. The project has been in the making prior to 2005 by Harrison County officials. The reconstruction began
in October 2009 and completed in April 2010. Its original design was replicated and widened with a walkway.
© Copyright 2005 Adena News Inc., All Rights Reserved